Friday, April 14, 2006

I Met a Man, He Was a Good Man

Hey everybody. This is Dave. As some of you know, I am a man of few words (sarcasm intended), so I'll make this brief. Mat, Jeff, and I arrived last night around 11:00, chatted with Eric a bit, failed to convince him to go out, and then headed over to the MGM for some poker. We had to wait for about half an hour. Mat's pre-play preparation was truly amazing. His concentration was so deep, that if I didn't know any better, I'd think he was actually sleeping. Oh wait, he was sleeping. On to the poker: Jeff and I played a $60 buy-in stop-n-go tournament. 10 players, quick blind structure, first place gets $300, second place $200. Very similar to our Friday games but with an even quicker blind structure. I loved it. Didn't do very well, but very entertaining. I think what's great about this kind of structure is that about after 20-30 minutes, the table gets to see all-in confrontations all the time. It's fun to ooh and ahh after after the flop, turn, and river when you know what the players have. Lots of crazy bad beats. Jeff and I were in the final five and everybody had about the same size stack. I went all in with A9 offsuit (blinds were huge at this point), eventual winner calls with AT, and Jeff calls with K-8. Jeff is gone after the hand and I'm essentially gone.

All in all, a very fun night. I played 2 of these stop-n-go tourneys, losting $120, but won about $150 at 2-4 limit with lots of good cards coming my way. Jeff did a little better, playing one tourney, losing $60 there, and then winning $150 at limit. Mat is down $160 with a lot of it coming after Jeff through him beyond tilt (see HOTD). Eric says he's up $300 due to staying in. He thanks us for getting in so late.

Eric - you are the good man referred to in the title. I had this really bad feeling when we got back to Eric's apartment at 5am that my next sight was going to be Eric's ugly mug glaring down at me at 8:00 with a cheesy grin yelling "Get up Loser! Ha!" Eric, however, was a total stud, letting us sleep til after ten. He probably was just sleeping, but I'll give him the credit anyways.

Without further ado:

Hand Of The Day
------------------

There will be no educational talk here as I'm not a very good poker player. This was just a fun hand to watch.

2-4 Limit
Mr. C under the gun has AA, Mr. L is two to the left and has KK.

Pre-Flop: Mr. C slow plays and smooth calls. Mr. L follows suit and does the same. Great minds obviously think alike. 3 or 4 players are in.

Flop: K 9 2 rainbow
Mr. C bets ($2), Mr. L eyes are bulging, but he sticks with his strategy and cintinues to slow play, simply calling again with his set (very smooth).

Turn: A
This is where it gets fun. I think at this time there was maybe one other player but I am completely ignoring him. I'm hoping something good is going to happen. Mr. C bets, Mr. L decides no more slow playing, so he raises in typical Mr. L. fashion with 8 chips flying through the air. Other guy is long gone. Re-raise, re-raise, re-raise. At this point, I feel this blast of air come out of Mr. L who is directly to my right. He is defeated literally and figuratively. He mutters some obscenity I won't repeat here, glares at his friend, and calls. He is now a broken man.

River has nothing.
Mr. C bets, Mr. L calls. They show their cards. All Mr. C can do is give a sheepish smile and say "Sorry about the Mat". I try to soothe him by saying it would have been a lot worse if this were no limit. As you can probably guess, that didn't seem to help much.

It is now morning, and Mat is still not happy with Jeff. He offers this quote: "Jeff, Damn you, you rat bastard". Jeff apologizes again. It is one happy family here.

2 Comments:

At 4:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That would be "Los Angeles" by Frank Black

 
At 9:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Somehow I had a feeling Malmer might get this one.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home