Monday, April 17, 2006

As for me, I hocked my brains, packed my bags, and headed west

Hello everyone -

I'm now back in Los Angeles and re-joining all you working stiffs out there with legitimate jobs. For those of you that don't know me, in real life I am a software engineer for an aerospace/defense contractor. Today was my first day on my new project and it was accompanied, as usual, by an avalanche of information - of which I absorbed maybe 2%. In the past, this has been accompanied by a semi-panicky feeling of "Man, I will never get all this" but I've been through it enough times now to know that I'll eventually retain enough to get by, or at least, convince my superiors that I am getting by. It would help if I cared in the least about the convergence of technology and the military. But I don't. The enjoyment I get from the job has nothing to do with the subject matter.

Anyway, by the end of this week I hope to put together a summary post that will conclude this blog. It will take a while mainly because I am trying to get a normal life put back together. Plus, I need to get the rest of my Vegas data entered and see if I can draw any meaningful conclusions from it, other than the obvious "Dude, you suck at poker". Among my many fields of expertise is not knowing how to manipulate Excel very well, so I will be bludgeoning the numbers to death in a most ham-handed way. Finally, I have a sneaking suspiction that my last post is going to be rather lengthy (who, me?).

In the meantime, there will be no posting. However, to keep things interesting, and because I am really curious, I would like to invite and encourage all readers to comment on this post with a little bit about themselves and their thoughts on poker, the blog, life in general, or whatever you feel like. I've been told a few times that the blog has sort of become a daily part of some people's lives. One of my sisters in Virginia said she had told a lot of people out there about it. And then there have been several readers that seemingly materialized out of nowhere - Lan Whu, Limber Lips, and Chuy, among others. Father Time wrote in with an interesting chronological situation, and someone else wrote in with a slew of sentences that contained words that were spelled the same but pronounced differently (I loved both of those comments...so weird and random). Finally, there are also several people who would send me emails because they were a little shy about public posting. Well, now I welcome anyone and everyone to introduce themselves to everyone else, via the comment section. It's your turn to share what's on your mind. Hopefully in this way we can have some new material to read until I get the last post up.

Play well, everyone!

5 Comments:

At 8:28 PM, Blogger Mike D said...

Whoo hoo! I get first post. Well, I am Eric's college roommate for four years, and while I do enjoy playing poker, I can't say I excel at it. We never played in college. I never trust pocket aces as I have been burned too many times, but mostly due to poor play. For the most part, I limit card play because I know I can get obsessive. (See "Hearts in Atlantis" by Stephen King and read about the hearts games to understand my fear!) Eric, as you may have guessed, can be hyper-competitive and obsessive. I will never play Pictionary or Ultimate Frisbee with him again - the scars are still unhealed as of yet. But his is alright, and one of the best friends I have ever had. It was good to have this window for a month and I will miss following up. Good work, man.
md

 
At 12:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi all. My name is Joe and I used to work on the same project as Eric. I view poker as a guide to life itself. Just as in poker, life has its swings. Sometimes you're up, sometimes you're down. And in the end, some people will lose big, while others will get lucky and come out far ahead of the pack. And just as in life, if you're down in poker, you just keep at it. It takes courage and coming out on top is never garaunteed. I don't know very much about Eric, but just the fact that he had the courage to take on poker in vegas speaks volumes about who he is. Keep it up Eric, and always have the courage to take life head-on.

 
At 6:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know how I got here. I really don't enjoy my job, so I sit here and surf the Internet, including various poker blogs. Anyway, yours had an interesting premise and was well written, so I followed along on your adventure. Guess it allowed me to leave my shitty job for a few minutes and live vicariously in Vegas playing poker.

Oh, and the name-that-tune game was fun too. (Megadeth - Train of Consequence)

 
At 12:59 PM, Blogger Winston Cash said...

It's good to see you made it home, sorry your endeavour did not turn out so well. I learned a lot about poker from your page, especialy given that when you were in the hole I thought you were winning. I'm an idiot.

I can't wait to read this blog in its entirity(spl?) when you're done.

As for introductions, I'm Lan Whu... Uh... I ran across this site randomly and Eric's writing really won me over and I enjoyed every post.

 
At 2:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am to blame for all this. Attention to all that know Eric, do not suggest something as wild as taking a month off work to play poker. He might do it! This blog was great; our office productivity went down each day near the posting time. Who knew an engineer could write so good.

I met Eric through work. He was an early player in our lunchtime no limit tournaments. He was known as the wild one, playing poker like he was intoxicated. But that was long ago. Glad to have you back home Mr. Demars. Looking forward to your wild and trumperiscious 500 bids!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home